Have you heard of a plane pull?
I'll be doing one next month at Los Angeles International Airport as a fundraiser for Fantasy Flight, a non-profit group that each December takes more than 150 Los Angeles-area kids in foster care to the "North Pole," where they meet Santa and Mrs. Claus and have a good time. [The kids don't actually fly to the North Pole; Instead, they fly on an aircraft that circles the Pacific Ocean and returns to LAX, where volunteers are waiting in a faux Santa's village.]
Fantasy Flight is a great program - the kid love it - but it's expensive to organize. So on Saturday, Oct. 3, Fantasy Flight will raise money on the ramp at LAX.
This is the plane pull. There will be a bunch of teams, most sponsored by corporations, and a United Airlines Boeing 737.
Using a rope, each team will get two chances to pull the more than 100,000 pound aircraft 12 feet. Each team will be timed, and the fastest to move the plane is the winner. The time cap is five minutes. It may seem impossible, but tens of thousands of people have done this in the past at one airport or another. The winning team receives a prize.
This blog, briansumers.com, will be sponsoring a team, though I'm sad to report our squad is full. You shouldn't be upset you're not on team briansumers.com, however, as all of our members are plane-pulling novices. I doubt we will win. I'm actually skeptical we can pull the plane at all.
If you live in Los Angeles and know a lot of people or work for a company that wants to do good, there is still time to enter a team. You'll find all the information at the official website, www.laxplanepull.com.
Here are the basics for registration.
- You have until Oct. 1 to get your team together and pay the entry fee.
- It costs $700 to register a team. It is a charitable donation. For a few hundred dollars more, you can sign on as an official sponsor.
- You need 20 people, plus one alternate
- You must be 18 to participate unless you're with a parent or guardian.
And here's what you need to know about the day of event.
- When: Saturday, October 03, 2015
- Where: United Airlines West Hangar, 7300 World Way West, Los Angeles, CA 90045
- Nuts and Bolts: Gates open at 9 a.m. Competition between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
I know many of you have pulled a plane before. Do you have advice for team briansumers.com? Keep in mind we will mostly consist of skinny Hollywood/writer types.