Having trouble finding an award ticket on United Airlines?
You might want to use your miles on something a little bit more unusual. For the next 38 days, or until tickets run out, United is selling an "exclusive private batting practice with the Los Angeles Dodgers" at Dodger Stadium.
The cost? 10,000 miles per person, according to United's MileagePlus website.
As of this writing, according to United, there about 100 spaces left for the May 9 event. On the MileagePlus website, United doesn't give a whole lot of information about how all of this works. But here is what we know:
Where: Dodger Stadium
When: Saturday, May 9, 2015 10:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. PST
What: Here’s your chance to enjoy private batting practice with Dodgers’ alumni. Buy now to reserve your spot in the on-deck circle! This exclusive event is a shared experience and will include other MileagePlus® program members. This experience includes:
- One (1) ticket for private batting practice with Los Angeles Dodgers' alumni at Dodger Stadium on Saturday, May 9, 2015 from 10:00AM to 1:30 PM PST
- On-field access at Dodger Stadium
- Food and beverages provided
- Parking included
- Cameras are permitted
This is part of a push by United to make it easier for customers to use their MileagePlus miles. Of course, the reason isn't necessarily customer satisfaction. There's a cost to United's balance sheet to carry all these outstanding award miles, so any time a customer burns them - especially on something that doesn't cost the airline much - it's good for United.
Not a baseball fan? You can browse the MileagePlus website for other unique ways to use your miles. They include:
- Get single day Vesey passes to the 2015 Tribeca Film Festival
- Spend Opening Night on Broadway with DOCTOR ZHIVAGO
- Travel to Denver for a Behind-the-Scenes Flight Simulator Experience
- MileagePlus® Presents an Evening on Broadway at “On the Town”